Becoming a Free‑Net member
To use Toronto Free‑Net services, you must first become a member. Individuals and non-profit groups can join. Membership is free.
Individual and non-profit group sign-up
- Register: Contact us at 416-204-9257 or email@example.com to get a registration form. Once you've completed the form, we will give you a username consisting of 2 lower-case letters followed by 3 digits, like "aa123". Keep your username and password somewhere safe — you will need them later.
- Provide proof of identity: Email, fax, mail or hand-deliver to our office something that proves who you are (because you are becoming a voting member). Please be sure to include the username which you received in Step 1. Any of the following will do:
- Cheque that is pre-printed with your name and address
- Credit card in your own name (must not be expired, must be signed, and must be presented in person, at the Free‑Net office)
- Utility bill listing your name and address
- Any government-issued ID except health cards; please do not fax photo identification, as that makes it illegible
- Any document, from a large institution (hospital, library, school, employment centre, etc), that shows your name & address
Make sure you have read and completed the following:
- Membership agreement
- Acceptable use guidelines
- Spam policy
- Online content policy
Free webhosting for non-profits
Along with access to Toronto Free‑Net's other services, we also provide free webhosting for community-minded non-profits. You are not required to display advertising, which is often required by other free Web site hosting businesses.
To sign up, please .
We will provide you with:
- an account
- disk space on our servers
- a URL (Internet address)
- one e-mail address
You Agree To:
- Keep the information on your site relevant and up-to-date.
- Designate a contact person who will assume responsibility for your
- Provide content which is neither defamatory nor illegal. Please consult
our Acceptable Information Guidelines.
Service upgrades & membership renewal
Once you are a member, you can, at any time, upgrade your account level from Basic, by paying the corresponding fees and completing the appropriate form(s):
- High-speed DSL sign-up form. (If you are planning to pay with pre-authorized debit, please disregard this form's pre-authorized debit section and use the separate pre-authorized debit form)
- Pre-authorized debit form
- Information provider agreement
- Information provider contact form
Thereafter, you must periodically renew your membership.
- For Basic access, you must renew every 6 months. For other levels, your payments act as your renewal. If payments are not received in time, an account is reset to Basic. When a Basic account has not been renewed, it is archived. To regain access to your archived account, contact the office.
- Free‑Net sends an email notification of impending expiry to your @torfree.net address and to any alternate email address you gave. You can provide an email address in the membership registration form or you can notify the office later. Delivery of these notices can fail, eg because of a full mailbox. It is ultimately your own responsibility to remember to renew before expiry.
By choosing Toronto Free‑Net, you get excellent service while supporting universal Internet access across the GTA, all at a bargain price!