[TFN-announce] New Dialup Time and Filespace Quotas

TFN Executive Director execdir@torfree.net
Thu, 2 May 2002 00:08:51 -0400 (EDT)

In order to ensure the financial viability of the Toronto Free-Net,
we must start charging for the higher levels of access to TFN.

In May we will be fully implementing dialup time/filespace control.
We are asking you to choose a level of access that will best satisfy
your needs.

Free access will still be available, but it will be more limited than it
has been in the past. There are five membership levels:

* BASIC: Free service will give you a total of 20 minutes per
  day dial-up time, in sessions of up to 10-minutes and you will
  receive half a megabyte of disk space.

* 1-PLUS: will give you a total of 70 minutes per day, with a
  session length of up to 60-minutes with 3 megabytes of disk
  space. 1-plus costs $5 per month, or $50 per year if paid annually.

* 2-PLUS: will give you a total of 130 minutes per day, with a
  session length of up to 60-minutes with 7 megabytes of disk
  space. 2-plus costs $8 per month, or $80 per year if paid annually.

* 442-PLUS: Like the 2-plus plan, 442-Plus will give you a total
  of up to 260 minutes over a 2 day period. It also allows you
  to use unused time from the previous day. For example, if you use
  1 hour one day, the next day you can use 3 hours. Session lengths
  are up to 90 minutes with 10 megabytes of disk space. 442-plus costs
  $10 per month, or $100 per year if paid annually.

* UNLIMITED: Unlimited time, Unlimited session length, 20 megabytes of
  diskspace. This costs $23/month and $220 per year if paid annually.

**All accounts above include extra daytime and evening 2 minute sessions
to quickly check email. Also from Midnight to 8:00 am, extra
time is available... equal to the allowed day/evening usage.

        <http://www.torfree.net/AboutFN/membership.html>

WHEN: May 7th will be the last day where the current 1 hour session
"442-Plus"  level of access is given to everyone. On May 8th we will put
in place the "2-Plus" level, on May 15th the "1-Plus" level and finally on
May 22nd, the "Basic Free" level of time and filespace access.  Please be
forewarned that filespace quota constraints put in place on these dates
may temporarily block your use of mail and file storage until you are able
to download or delete larger unneccessary files.

HOW: Please use the online form under "Membership Upgrade" to indicate the
level of access you wish to use. Then as soon as possible, please send,
phone, fax or bring your payment to our office.  When we receive your
payment, we will enable your "Plus" privileges for the next day.  The
expiry date for "Plus" accounts (the date when access level will
automatically be set back to "Basic Free") will be calculated forward
from May 22nd. If you wish to maintain the "Basic Free" level access, no
action is required at this time.

Thank-you for continuing to support Toronto Free-Net. It is the volunteer
and financial support of members which makes everything possible at TFN.

Ken McCracken
Executive Director
Toronto Free-Net